Yes, the excellent WebOS is defunct, and it will never be the mainstream player as, at least technically, it deserved. For all of us developing for the mobile world that don’t have the time or budget to develop natively in all the mainstream platforms, its one less player to target. Myself, personally, am deciding/evaluating available options for true cross-platform development targeting iOS, Android, Blackberry and Windows Phone 7.
My requirements are:
- Native UI components must be used – maintaining the native look and feel for each platform is important (PhoneGap is out of the picture because of this);
- The same code base (or at least most of it) must be used in all platforms;
- The UI must scale well between Phone and Tablet formats and screen densities (DPI);
- The application must perform smoothly, speedwise, even in lower end devices;
- Some access to the device’s hardware: GPS, sensors, camera.
I have found some platforms so far:
- RhoMobile: haven’t tested or reviewed this one yet, opinions anyone?
So, i need your opinion about these or other development tools: are they any good? Have you used them in a project? Comment below.